Saturday, August 27, 2016

Dear Colin



Hello,

You have never met me and I can't say I know you other than what I see from you on the television. In your prime you knocked my favorite football team out of the playoffs a couple times. For a minute you actually looked like you had real talent only to see it faltering off thanks to lesser coaching and older legs.

As I said, I don't know you. I never went to school with you. I never hung out at a bar or at my place to listen to the frogs and crickets on my back porch. I try not to judge people I don't know and I'm betting right now a lot of people are doing just that, judging you.

Some had noticed during football games you were sitting out the national anthem. Of course news being the sensational beast that it is propagates stories about you skipping out on it then go to ask you why. You then go and tell this same gonzo media that you don't want to stand up during the national anthem because the American flag represents a racist culture.

Joe Average is not going to like you much after hearing that. They are the ones that watch your games, that buy your merchandise, and fill those seats in your stadium. Sure a few Marxist professors and fringe groups may applaud your bravery and even some like me will defend you for having a right to your opinions. You have every right to sit, pick your nose, cry, whatever you want to do within this American society and within the parameters of the rule of law. I just wish to make one request:

Donate your salary.

According to your contract, you're currently making "a 6 year, $114,000,000 salary with the San Francisco 49ers, including a $12,328,766 signing bonus, $61,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $19,000,000".

That's a nice paycheck. It's a lot more than I make. That money you're making though is racist money. That money is made by bigots in head offices that pay your salary. It's made by task masters that own companies, hire people, and pay them tiny unfair wages. It's made by sponsorships and corporations that have slave, prison, or child labor in third world countries. If you follow your logic, you really have no need for that hefty paycheck that you're making. You should be able to keep yourself warm at night without all that cash knowing you weren't part of this system you hate.

After all it's bigoted blood money, right? It's what hoists that flag up in that billion dollar stadium you play in once a week when you're not sitting on the bench.

Give it to charity, Colin. Give it to charity! Give it to people that are actually trying to make the world a better place. You play a game, Colin. You live in a bubble. You aren't in the real world. Who the hell decries their surroundings while making such tremendous profit from it? That makes you no better than the greedy selfish people you won't stand to acknowledge. Donate your salary!

If you don't want to stand with your teammates, your friends, and the good people that are in abundance in this country, that's fine. But every time you cash one of those checks you just painting yourself as the bigger hypocrite. Follow your own logic, stranger, donate your salary, and go Packers.