For My Friend


I moved to Richmond in September, full of aprehension. Many of you by keeping up with my story know full well the ups and downs that I have faced.

I was very fortunate to land a great job in October. After a lot of rejection, and fear for losing everything I started my new job with that same fear I had when I moved to this city.
I was crammed in an office with Kelly Stern. He is such a kind, patient, gentle soul. He showed me around and I got comfortable working there really fast. I smile when I remember one of my coworkers talking about us giggling in there all day. I had fun those days.

It did not take me long to find out that Kelly was gay. He mentioned living with Jeff, and I put two and two together fast. Kelly listened to my troubles, and gave me sound, firm advice. He has been so helpful to me also by taking me home from work almost every day and taking me by the grocery store to get supplies. I would not still be here if it was not for his help. I cannot think of a way to show my appreciation to him.

Until now. Please check out Kelly's blog. This is Pride Month, and the gay community is facing many issues this year. No matter what your stand is on these issues, let's remember that these laws affect human beings, Americans, but most important, one of the truest friends I've had. Kelly's challenge is a simple one, show everyone the world, your country, and your own community through his eyes.

Kelly, thank you...and stay strong. Your fight is a noble and neverending one.

Comments

  1. Ass...you made me cry...Thanks sooo much...always glad to help a friend..especially one who listens to me bitch constantly...Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww..I was teary eyed too. Don't tell anyone, though. It'll mess up my street cred!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a neat tribute to a friend. Kel seems very much like that type of person. We chat occasionally by email and I do hope I have the pleasure of meeting him directly if I can coax him out to the Southeast Bloggers Pow Wow that we're trying to drum up in Orlando at the end of the summer!

    Hope Richmond continues to grow on you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Tony. I would love to go to some of these big blogger type conventions, but it's always hitting at times that I have prior engagements. That weekend I'll be moving into my new house!

    It's not too hard to coax Kelly. Just mention beer and beaches. Just don't tell him it's a bit of a drive from Orlando to a beach. shhh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW...you are a real gentleman and friend. Thank you for your kindness, compassion and support!

    You bring honor to your friendship!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm overwhemled by all the nice words from everyone :)

    Thank you all, from the bottom of my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As a friend of Kelly's I wanted to thank you for your support of gay rights/pride etc. I think HE gained a great friend as well. You are a gentleman and your support is appreciated, not only by Kelly, but by our fellow gay brothers and sisters.

    In a world full of disease, starvation, child abuse, elder abuse, war, greed and hundreds of other troublesome things, why is being gay seen as such a threat to ANYONE?

    No, we won't rape or recruit your children ( straight people tend to be better at that, so say the statistics) we won't wear a dress to brunch, we won't pinch your butt (unless you ask of course) and we won't infringe on anyone elses lives. So why does everyone want to legislate our adult freedom to live our lives as we feel are best for us?

    We are ADULTS, period, end of story. Oh, and we pay taxes and vote too, so why don't we get to visit our partners in the hospital? share health benefits? get tax breaks like married folks?

    I could go on and on, but I think it is best to stop before I sound like a zealot. Peace out.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for your comments, Sean. It's easy to lose the people in this forest sized debate. We are forgetting fast as a free society how to live as a free society.

    Oh, and I'm way too goosey for butt pinching, that would be a rare occasion for anyone...I tend to giggle.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Drowning Death Spiral of Modern Political Debates

My Wiiview