Tragedy

Living in Virginia, we had all become accustomed to watching school shootings unfold in other parts of the country. We are, however, not immune to violence here in Virginia. Between Richmond and Washington, DC, this part of the world has a bad reputation for murder. Even recently, there was a man who drove to Richmond to fly out of the airport here only to end up dead along with his two sons.

Today, a new page turns in our history as 1 (still possibly 2) gunmen killed 33 people on the campus of Virginia Tech. I had visited the campus a few times when I was living in Lynchburg, but I never had any attachment to any of the people there. My heart does go out to the people affected by today's shooting. No matter what the motive may be, it's all in vain. People did not have to die over this person'(s) vindetta.

This all makes me very sad. This is really a nice state. There really are nice people here. I hope people believe that.

Comments

  1. Mike,
    Can you believe this? You know as a Hokie I just still for the life of me can't figure this one out.
    You know watching this thing unfold this morning was really really shocking. I work for Carilion at a docs office,but as you may or may not know we are all tied together. I was very relieved when they said this morning that 3 of the injured was transported to our Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital. We have some of the best trauma docs there. I was and so was our docs saddened to know that some did not make it out of surgery. That was when the death toll had rose to 31. Before that it was at 21. We were all shocked.
    All I want to do is help out in anyway I can. Beings the campus is about an hour from us. I called the VT Police to see if we could let some students that are out of state stay with us and they said that they all had places to go. Its nice to see Radford Univ. Stepping up and letting some of them stay there in the dorms. Its just all heart breaking and we just came back from Cave Spring Baptist Church they had a vigil tonight to remember the dead. Gosh it was so sad. Its amazing to see to how the news is covering this tragedy. I just hope that can put together all that happened and can get an ID on the shooter. I know we will never know what happened or why, but at least we will know his name. Because we will never forget this for the rest of our lives.
    I will say this though..
    Come football season we will kick ass!!
    Go Hokies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

For My Friend

My Wiiview

September 27, 2019