It's The Simple Things

I am a stern minamalist. A minamalist defined as: "movements in various forms of art and design, especially visual art and music, where the work is stripped down to its most fundamental features and core self expression."

I also look good in a suit, who knew? But I'm posting after spending some time cleaning out the sidebars of my blog. I took a lot of things out and only kept the really important stuff as it involves The Lewis Show.

I had figured at one point with the extra sidebars that I should try to fill them from top to bottom with material that I like. That seemed like a good idea at the time until I applied that and lost readers. Two things were happening that people tend to not appreciate when reading blogs:

  1. The site was taking a long time to load because of the content. This meant that people who either found my site by searching or wanted to get that link to someone else's blog had to wait. I know from experience that if I wait more than three seconds, I'm backtracking and looking somewhere else. Moral: KISS rule applies, Keep It Simple, Silly!
  2. I was creating massive overload! There's only so much someone wants to see when they're blog hopping. They don't need to see a lot of ads, they don't need to see a variety of feeds, they don't need to see any of that. My challenge was to trim things down. I still want my networks posted, and I still want my music information accessible. I pretty much got rid of everything else. The page works so much better and best of all, I fixed that IE bug. Moral: DOS rule applies, Don't Over Sell.

Lessons learned for me, I hope you can apply them to your site.

Comments

  1. Wee, I counted and it took exactly 3 seconds to load!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

For My Friend

My Wiiview

September 27, 2019