I Did It!

I amaze even myself sometimes.

I got two old laptops from work a few months ago. One of them does not have a working monitor and the other one had a DMV like problem.

Let me explain a DMV problem. A DMV problem is similar to the time that I was trying to get my driver's license back. I needed documentation of my new address to make the change and insurance but because I didn't have a driver's license I was unable to get the documentation needed to get the information needed to get a license. You get the idea.

I could not connect to the internet with the laptop that had the working monitor. I know that XP was going to be too big, and it came with Windows 2000. The problem with 2000 was I didn't have an advanced enough browser to install the drivers that I needed to run the Linksys wireless card. XP has the sufficient browser and the ability to install drivers on the fly but I didn't have enough computer to run XP. So I was stuck in a loop.

I think tried 3 versions of Linux. Ubuntu and Suse each had issues with the wireless card too and Xbuntu had issues with the monitor, so I figured I'd try XP again. I would love to become a power Linux user, but mounting a driver for an XP ready wireless card is a pain in the ass to do with command lines. Maybe one day I'll be that smart, but that day is not today.

It took a day to install and apply all the XP updates. I think I had to reboot a dozen times, but it's working. I can't really do anything but Internet because all of the memory is dedicated to running XP and I have about 4GB of hard drive left.

I think I'm going to head out and buy a small external HD and I'm going to price upgrading the memory. As is. I'll spend maybe a hundred bucks to have a really good laptop. I think it's cool too to have something so old school running too. This will definitely grab some attention at the Starbucks because of the super old loud clicky keyboard!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

For My Friend

The Drowning Death Spiral of Modern Political Debates

My Wiiview