Dinner Time, Dudes

 I have been thinking about doing this for a while. I won't post entire recipes here regularly , but for the sake of getting things started, I figured I would this time. Especially since I had been craving something that I had in California for a long time. I may post a few more in the future, but I want to archive them in some other way.

Street food is becoming fashionable again. I've seen it highlighted on a few food and travel channel shows.After mentioning this a few times out on the social networks, I figured I'd share how I prepared:

Fish Tacos (or as I called it, Surfer Food)

white sauce:

1/2 cup plain yogurt*
1/2 cup mayonnaise*
1 lime, juiced*
1 jalapeno pepper, minced
1 teaspoon minced capers
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano*
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper*

* what I used, the rest are extras for flavoring

fish:

tilapia, mahi mahi, cod, or other white fish depending on
taste. We like tilapia because it doesn't have that knock you out
fish taste like the others' do.

everything else:

1 (12 ounce) package corn tortillas
1/2 medium head cabbage, finely shredded

1 bag of seafood mix for breading or,

beer batter (optional)
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 cup beer

To make beer batter: In a large bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt. Blend egg and beer, then quickly stir into the flour mixture (don't worry about a few lumps).

Make the white sauce and let it sit in the fridge for about half an hour. Shred up some cabbage, I like the white parts on the inside, nice and tender. Put the tortillas in the oven under low ish heat to get warmed up. Nuking them is fine too, but grilling is best!

I soaked the fish for about 20 mins in cool water with sea salt or kosher salt, then i take them out and pat dry them with paper towels.After they get dry but still a little moist, put them in the beer batter or the mix and cover them well. Place the fish into the frying pan probably for about 3-4 mins on each side, no more than 5 then 4 works for me typically. I play this by sight, when they go from light brown to more of a brown golden brown, take them out and place them on paper towels to drain excess oil. Your instincts are good, trust them. If you're good at grilling, that is a great healthier alternative. Broiling is good too.

Once the fish is good to go, cut it up and place the desired amount in your tortilla, cover with shredded cabbage and white sauce and love them!


most of the ideas, ingredients, and ideas came from here and here. I still haven't decided if I'm making videos, or creating a Tumblr page to post these, but I figured I wanted to express my latest creative outlet.

Popular posts from this blog

For My Friend

My Wiiview

September 27, 2019