Twitter Apps?

I'm reading through my timeline the other day and I thought of an interesting course of action Twitter could take to grant them more of a foothold in people's digital lives.

Google has brilliantly created an apps platform to keep their users within their environment. I can start a typical day loading Gmail, then Maps, Docs, Voice, Reader, and so on. I can do all of this on their cloud based operating system or I can do this on  my desktop. There's so much rich integration, I'm hard pressed to go outside of that space because so much of my cloud life lives at Google.

In Twitter now there are events, location check ins, photo/video sharing, and so on. People don't just post what they're watching or eating anymore. But those tweets just kind of float into my timeline for a second and then they're gone. It's not just a space where people banter on endlessly anymore (unless you're Charlie Sheen). I would have to star every other tweet of importance or time sensitive information to prevent anything from vanishing into thin air with the passage of time.

This is where Twitter can take a page from Google's play book. One can go into Twitter, as we do now, read their friends posts, and be on their way. Then again, we could also go over to Twitter Calendar and check certain users or starred items that are happening locally or open Twitter mail to handle direct messaging. They can then use Twitter Maps to find those locations and even check in.

I can see a local venue benefiting from this for example. If I'm subscribed to a local club's calendar, or I see a band is coming to town, I can star that tweet and it's on my calender. Twitter can then feed this information to Google, Microsoft's, or Facebook's environment allowing them to push out these items to mobiles/smart phones and not require extra development.

I know the purpose of Twitter is to be a simple platform where people post messages and friends share in conversation, but since people have expanded the practicality of the service by turning it into a conversation destination or platform for political reform, it would benefit this powerful new start up to continue to expand and become even more of a destination.

Despite the numbers, that destination won't just be Facebook forever. I'm already starting to see the MySpace cycle beginning to happen with them as well. This is Twitter's time to take that valuable real estate. I can really see them change the digital word, 140 characters at a time.

Popular posts from this blog

For My Friend

My Wiiview

September 27, 2019